During one of her shows on Oprah Radio, spiritual author and teacher, Elizabeth Lesser, said that when astronauts complete their missions in space, these scientists and military figures return to earth with a transformed view of the world and their lives. Apparently after seeing the perfection and beauty of our planet from that awesome perspective, many of these rather analytical and rational people come back much more heart-centred and carry on the rest of their lives as humanitarians.
Elizabeth then went on to say that this was a perfect metaphor for the “awakening process”. The change in astronauts is not unlike the shift that takes place in one who consciously chooses to see the world from a higher perspective and with that view, they too see the perfection and beauty in everything and everyone.
As this spiritual path does not involve months at space camp doing zero-gravity training and developing a taste for meals contained in tubes, the higher perspective of things is that we are all having this human experience with the sole purpose to express unconditional love and help others do that very same thing in the many opportunities that arise throughout the course of our lives.
We the spiritual warriors see that we are on a mission of our own. This mission that we are all on is to express love in some way or another. A “spiritual awakening” is when someone realizes/remembers that they are here to carry out the mission.
Much like those astronauts on their mission, we have a chance to see past the drama happening on earth at ground level, and see everyone and everything we encounter as a chance to be a source of loving…to be kind…to be friendly…to be helpful…to be compassionate…to be generous…to be a bright light in the darkness.
All you can see is beauty and perfection when you see life as one opportunity after another to carry out the mission. Even when there is suffering, it’s only because you or someone else is forgetting the mission or learning something that will help them carry out the mission in the future.
Here are a few ways your view of the world can change when (you remember) you are on a mission to be a source of unconditional love to everyone (including yourself)…
1. You Don’t Take Anything Personally. Because no matter what anyone says or does, it’s never about you. It may seem like it, but the truth is, it is never about you. If someone says or does something unloving, it’s just an indication that they have simply forgotten who they really are and the mission. *But you do remember who you really are and the mission so you choose to be compassionate as they are dealing with a serious case of memory loss.
2. You Don’t Interfere In Anyone’s Life. Because no matter how “bad” things may seem for someone, they are simply living out a scenario that has been well-timed, well-planned, and well-orchestrated for them to experience something that will help them in some way to remember and live out the mission. When you interfere in someone’s evolution, that also means that you have forgotten the mission. *Saving people is not part of the mission.
3. You Don’t Fail. Because you’re always falling forward in your evolutionary journey toward living out the mission in the way(s) for which you are destined. It’s designed to be a journey. Your head would probably blow off if you remembered everything all at once. *Nothing is random on the mission.
4. You Don’t Need Anything. Because anything that will help you on your mission will be provided precisely at the time that best serves you on the mission. *Now you know that you don’t need it because you don’t have it. Best savings plan ever.
5. You Don’t Feel Alone. Because we’re all on the same mission and all connected by the same loving energy that sent us here in the first place. When you or anyone talks or acts in an unloving way, it’s because they see themselves as an island and they are staring out at a bunch of islands. The islands are an illusion. We see the islands when we’re caught in the “dream” of this physical world that has taught us that we aren’t in this together. *Note how many beliefs you’ve been fed over the years that sabotage the mission.
Much like the astronauts discover while they have that unique perspective on the world, we the spiritual seekers see that we are not here to do anything. We are not here to accomplish great things, achieve success, and save the world. Inevitably we will do things in this life, but in our action, we remember that we are here to be a source of unconditional love.
And while remembering the mission, we end up accomplishing great things, achieving success, and saving the world.