Back when I used to subscribe to Oprah’s magazine, “O”, (hey, did you see who’s on the cover of it this month?!!!), I used to love reading the last article written by the queen herself. It was a short essay about something that she knows for sure. A glimpse into her truth. A snippet of the real Oprah.
You have your truth. You have beliefs that you would stand by if push were to really come to shove. You have aspects of yourself that have been there since day one and God bless you, there you are thirty, forty, fifty, sixty years later doing the same damn thing.
To realize it. To accept it. To own it. To express it freely and fearlessly is why you are here.
Screw the “shoulds”. Let go of what you think the world expects of you. And laugh at all the lies on Facebook. Yours included, darling.
If you do one thing in this life, choose to be yourself. Accept yourself for exactly who you are. Talk to yourself like you would to a best friend. Hell, even a lover.
So. Inspired by a conversation with my assistant when self-actualization was knocking hard on my door on a very dark day…here’s what I know for sure.
- I am a spiritual being having a human experience (not the other way around)
- every encounter is sacred
- other than what’s in the real law books, everything else in life truly is optional
- we suffer when we believe a thought that isn’t true for ourselves
- our true nature is joy
- things come together and they fall apart…it is the flux of life
- you can’t save anyone in this life, but if you save yourself, you will in turn, save the world
- to do something that brings you joy and leads you to shine a bright light in this world is success…but the opposite is not failure
- delivering a service and being of service are two very different things
- it’s very important to challenge everything you think, say, and want to buy
- emotional and physical pain is inevitable in life, however, suffering is quite optional
- stress cannot exist where there is gratitude
- abundance is not something we acquire in this life, it’s something we tune into
- it’s impossible to suffer if your attention is placed on the present moment
- my life is not about me at all…it’s about helping others in all the different ways that exist
- vulnerability (not saving face) can and will save the world
And here’s My Truth…
- my highs are high and my lows are low
- I LOVE a good party
- I can’t stand small talk (I’d rather dive in to the big, big stuff with a stranger than talk about their last vacation)
- I hold an extraordinary fantasy world in my mind
- I wear my heart on my sleeve
- I have no idea what complacency feels like
- I’m the most comfortable in this world when I’m busy
- I’m a pleaser from way back
- being a performer, turning a deaf ear to my ego-mind is my biggest life lesson
- writing, being on stage, and making people laugh is why I’m here…it is what my soul chose as the way to be a physical expression of love…it’s my TRUTH.
I probably didn’t capture everything here today, but it’s a start and starting to face the truth is one more step in getting closer to being who you really are.
What can you say for sure? What is your truth? And are you freely and fearlessly expressing it each day in all that you do?
Even on Facebook?